Re: your or redhat?

Ken Gray wrote:

> 1 easy installation (i.e. auto recognition)

	No auto recognition for ISA in Linux yet... Linus haven't yet seen a
good implementation of Prug'n'Pray.

	PCI works regardless of distribution.

	RedHat installation is more beautiful, Debian is more informative and
flexible.

> 2 robust/easy to use graphical enviroment such as in os2

	The "graphical environment" in Linux is split.

	The window manager is standard: the X System.  It is far more capable
than any other I've seen up to now, but it is certainly the nastier part
of the system to install.  This also does not depends on the
distribution.

	The GUI is the window manager, of which there is a bewildering
variety:  AfterStep, fvwm, ICE, OpenWindows, etc.  Also not dependent on
distribution.

	Both Debian and RedHat will standardize on the GNOME desktop, bypassing
the KDE which depends on proprietary, closed libraries.  GNOME isn't yet
finished, but it is not really necessary to a hacker or would-be hacker.

	That said, RedHat has nicer graphical configuration utilities, but
Debian has a more robust, bullet-proof, comprehensive installation
system (the Apt installer and the *.deb packages).

	As of now, both distributions are up-to-date: technically (kernel and
libc -wise) Debian 2.0 and RedHat 5.1 are at the same level.

--
Leandro Guimaraens Faria Corcete Dutra
http://www.lge.com.br./ 			leandro@lge.com.br