Re: your or redhat?

I tried to install Redhat on an older non-name-brand 486, but it wouldn't
see one of my hard drives, so I tried Debian, and have stuck with it. The
impression I've gotton from reading mail archives, etc, is that Redhat is
easier to get up and running for the newbie, but only because it is more
limited than Debian; this limitation also manifests itself later when you
want to "grow" and find out that Redhat isn't as "growable" as Debian.
However, let me remind you, this is not from first-hand experience; just my
impression from what I've read.

Here's something I found in the mail archives
(http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-user-9801/msg00061.html) that
you might find interesting.

>Here is my opinion on the different dist. of Linux that I have used over
>the years.
>
>Caldera Standard:
>
>Great if you never need technical support, modifiy your system, or want
>any documentation that is acurate.  Since I do not know of anyone that
>can say that, I would not recomend it.
>
>Red Hat:
>
>Good distrubution.  Installs easy, has good documentation, is really
>useable from the first reboot.  It's update and packaging system is not
>very good.  I have had a lot of trouble upgrading the system from
>version to version.  Other then that, it works well.
>
>Slackware:
>
>Installs well, has very good doc's, and works well from the first
>reboot.  It has no upgrade capability, and is difficult to get X to work
>just the way you want it.
>
>Debian:
>
>Installs well, has good doc's, and is very easy to modify.  The upgrade
>system works very well with the utilities available.  I have upgraded
>through mager versions with no problems.  The only problem is when you
>get to the first reboot you hav quite a bit of configuration to do to
>get a really usable system.  The upside of that is you have learned a
>lot from the configuration and will have no trouble in the future
>modifications.
>
>I hope this helps, I have been lucky in the fact that I have had the
>opertunity to run different dist. side by side for quite a while.  That
>gave me a chance to compare them well.  Of course, this is only my
>opinion.
>
>Brian Schramm
>

>On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Alexander wrote:
>

>> > im concidering putting linux on my system at home (who am i kiding? i
>> > will be putting linux on my system) but im kind of lost between the
>> > outdated info in various sources on which dist is going to help me.
>> >
>> > this is what i need:
>> > 1 easy installation (i.e. auto recognition)
>> > 2 robust/easy to use graphical enviroment such as in os2
>> > what i need to know from you is why should i get your product instead of
>> >
>> > Redhat 5.1?
>> > thanks for the help
>> > ken
>
>Eugene Sevinian

/dev/null

Kent West			| Technology Support/Customer Service		|
Abilene Christian University	| Voice: 915-674-2557  FAX: 915.674.6724	|
ACU Station, Box 29005	| E-MAIL: kent.west@infotech.acu.edu		|
Abilene, TX  79699-9005	| Ham:    KC5ENO, General			|