Re: LPRng & printer Port

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Babs wrote:

> HELP!
>
> 	I have read every doc i can get my hands on, news groups, & more. I can
> not figure out why my printer port is not opening.
> 	I'm running an X86 based PC, Debian Linux Kernel 2.0.34, I am in the
> process of integrating the internal network at our office. I'm still fairly
> new to linux been running it for about 5 months or so. Still have lots to
> learn.
> 	I have Netatalk and Samba Running and configured properly. At one point i
> did have LPRng Suite working properly as well. Crashed the system and had
> to do a complete reinstall.

! I'm not sure why you had to do that.

> From that point on i have not been able to get
> the printer port to open, no matter what i do. Does anyone have any ideas
> for me. If i can get the port open i can work on filters later.

First, is the lp port set up correctly in the CMOS, with the conventional
address? You shouldn't need an IRQ as polling is used.

Then does the kernel find it? Look for something like
    lp1 at 0x0378, (polling)
in the boot up screen (shift-pageup to review).

Are you running your own kernel or an installation one?
If you see something like
    lp: Driver configured but no interfaces found.
perhaps something like the ppa driver has already grabbed the port.

I would strongly recommend building your own kernel, tailored to what
you've got, than have an installation one probing here there and everywhere
for non-existant devices.

Another possibility is that you forgot to install the lp module the second
time around. I think everything you remembered has a line in /etc/modules;
is it there?

Cheers,