Sound Card, etc.

Okay, first of all, I posted a message a few weeks ago about noise and
lack of mixer control...  It turned out that some mixers (as compiled)
don't work well with some MSS/WSS sound cards because of some weird
settings (like on my card (a CS4231), line1 is my CD).  I fiddled with
the sources of xmix and asmixer and I was able to get them to work nicely.
Turned out the noise was due to the mic being cranked up to max. :)

BTW, I found that gmix works fine as is in gnome-media.

Anyway, I was looking through the
/usr/src/linux/drivers/sound/Readme.cards.  At one point, it says that
not all cards can use SB and WSS at the same time.  Mine apparently can
(I used to have SB support compiled in).  My question is, why would I
want to have support for WSS *and* SB compiled in?

One more thing, what do the 'Low Level Drivers' and 'ACM (?) mixer'
options mean/do?

Thanks,

joe