Re: dselect questions, suggestion..

Gregory Guthrie <guthrie@mum.edu> writes:
GG> When running dselect (updating bo --> hamm), I get some items with
GG> a status of
GG>            installed_version   available_version
GG>    ---             xxx                 xxx
GG>
GG> Why is there an installed version indicated, when it shows as not
GG> installed?

The package is "removed" (but not "purged"), so configuration files
for the indicated version remain.  You can get rid of those too by
pressing "_" (underscore) while that package's line is highlighted.

GG> -- It would be nice if
GG>
GG> 1) dselect would estimate the size of a package for a selection
GG>    criteria;

Huh?  What's a "selection criterion"?  You can find the size of the
.deb file for a package (in bytes) by pressing "i" twice, and looking
on the "Size:" line.  The "Installed-Size:" line shows the size of the
unpacked package, in kilobytes IIRC.

GG> 2) if it shows a big list of dependency problems, you could just say
GG> "forget it",
GG>    i.e. upt not for the package.

On the dependency screen, you can press "X" to ignore dselect's
recommended changes, and then deselect the package.

--
/                             \       "Dad was reading a book called