Re: init file structures; changed in hamm?

In article <[🔎] 3.0.5.32.19980721131835.0096c170@mail1.mum.edu>,
Gregory Guthrie <guthrie@mum.edu> wrote:
>I upgraded (bo--> hamm) and accidently selected teh sysvinit; and now my
>init packaging and strucutre is different; ppp setup names, etc..

ppp setup and sysvinit don't have much to do with each other. What
do you mean exactly?

>I tried to unselect it and go back, but was told that cron, and a buch of
>other things required sysV init setup. I had cron installed before.

Everything requires sysvinit. And the current setup has been like this
since day one (not _quite_ sure on that, my first install was 0.99 or so,
hmm can't even remember the version number, anyway a few years ago).

>Was ther a change in the init file strucutures, or is this change because I
>inadvertantly went to sysV, and if so, need I be there?

Only one thing has changed: the monolithic /etc/init.d/boot script was
broken up into fragments. Links in /etc/rcS.d point to the collection
of smaller scripts and execute them.

All the other stuff has always been like this.

>(I don't like it because I also use LRP; which has the other init s
>tructure(s))

You probably never had a good look at your existing installation if you
only now discover Debian uses sysvinit - it has always done so ..

Mike.
--
 Miquel van Smoorenburg | Our vision is to speed up time,
    miquels@cistron.nl  |   eventually eliminating it.