Re: Having problems compiling a kernel

Nico Fritschi <nico-fritschi@gmx.de> writes:
| I am using Debian 1.3.1 with the 2.0.30 kernel. My version of gcc is
| 2.7.1 . I wanted to compile a kernel. The first problem was that i
| wasn't able to use "make menuconfig" (error was: make error 1) and "make
| xconfig" so i used "make config". After having all set up I made a "make
| dep" and "make clear" and then "make zImage". All seemed working fine
| but suddenly it stopped with the error message "make error 2". So I
| tried some other possibilities, but they didn't work.
|
| I decided to download the kernel 2.0.34 source and installed it. "make
| menuconfig" did still not work, but "make xconfig" did. So I set
| everything up again and did the same steps as before and the same error
| occurred.
|
| It would be nice if someone out there could help me.

First, are you using the kernel-source-<version>.deb to install the
kernel source? It's not absolutely necessary but it does ease things
somewhat. It's in the "devel" section of dselect.

Second, I'd suggest using the kernel-package package. You can find it
in your dselect menu in the "misc" section. It is the standard way to
build custom kernels under Debian. After you've done make
config/menuconfig/xconfig you essentially do a

make-kpkg --revision <your version> kernel_image

and it builds a kernel*.deb file in /usr/src that you just install
like any other debian package with

dpkg -i kernel*.deb

As to why make menuconfig, or make xconfig aren't working for you, I
haven't a clue. The kernel source is supposed to come with everything
required to make these work, but it's been a LONG time since I
installed from the raw kernel source so maybe that's the problem? Or
perhaps they only work with gcc 2.7.2.x?

Good Luck!
Gary