Having problems compiling a kernel

Hello,

I am using Debian 1.3.1 with the 2.0.30 kernel. My version of gcc is
2.7.1 . I wanted to compile a kernel. The first problem was that i
wasn't able to use "make menuconfig" (error was: make error 1) and "make
xconfig" so i used "make config". After having all set up I made a "make
dep" and "make clear" and then "make zImage". All seemed working fine
but suddenly it stopped with the error message "make error 2". So I
tried some other possibilities, but they didn't work.

I decided to download the kernel 2.0.34 source and installed it. "make
menuconfig" did still not work, but "make xconfig" did. So I set
everything up again and did the same steps as before and the same error
occurred.

It would be nice if someone out there could help me.

Thanks in advance

Nico