dpkg-deb --build and the / partition

I have a kind of smallish / partition (32MB, about 8MB
user-available), and a much larger /usr partition (800MB, ~100MB
user-available).  So I'm trying to build a kernel package in
/usr/local/src/linux.  The kernel itself builds fine, and I can watch
a source tarball being built under debian/tmp-source/usr/src.  Once
make-kpkg goes off to try to actually assemble the package, though, it
produces an error.  Running dpkg --build by hand from
/usr/local/src/linux:

{3} linux% dpkg --build debian/tmp-source ..
dpkg-deb: building package `kernel-source-2.1.109' in `../kernel-source-2.1.109_2.1.109-dzm.1_all.deb'.

gzip: stdout: No space left on device
dpkg-deb: subprocess gzip -9c from tar --exclude returned error exit status 1

Watching with 'df' shows that the / partition is filling up; once /
fills, dpkg-deb dies and I get this error.  'du -sx /' shows that no
additional space is being used by files in the / filesystem, though.
What's going on?  How can I get make-kpkg to work (it's worked
before...)?

Relevant system details: Current slink install, kernel 2.1.107.
Package versions:
ii  kernel-package  5.03           Debian Linux kernel package build scripts.
ii  dpkg            1.4.0.24       Package maintenance system for Debian Linux
ii  dpkg-dev        1.4.0.24       Package building tools for Debian Linux

--
/                             \       "Dad was reading a book called