Re: Install Hamm on Cyrix CPU PC

Alex Kwan wrote:

> Now I am ready to install the hamm to a
> Cyrix-GX200 MMX CPU PC, and I have seen
> the document "Installing Debian Linux 2.0"
> on the /disk-i386/current/install.html (chapter 4.12)
> saying "Many users of Cyrix CPUs have had to
> disable the cache in their systems during
> installation....."   does it mean disable the
> cache on the mainboard by BIOS settings?

No you don't have to do this on the newer Cyrix CPU's.  I believe it was
a problem when the processor switched from real to protected mode and
its internal wasn't properly flushed.  Don't worry though I think they
have been shipping processors for 1-2 yrs without this problem.  Just
try it without doing this first it will probably work.

Mark Panzer