cdrom probs

My system details: ExpertColor TX430 M'board, Intel MMX 233 CPU, 128 Meg
RAM, AMI BIOS
Maxtor Diamond Max 85120A8 HD5.1G connected to IDE socket 1 on Moboard IRQ
14
Pioneer DRA 24X CD-ROM connected to IDE socket 2, as Secondary Master IRQ
15, according to NT MSD
Boot sequence is A: then C: I am attempting to use Debian 1.3.
My problem is that when attempting to install linux the install routine
stops when the cdrom method is invoked, with messages such as;hdc:irq
timeout: status=0x51, error 0x60 followed by the message reset atapi i/o
error dev 16:00, sector 0.
If I remove the cd the message changes to an error x20 (I think).
I have successfully disabled the cd-rom via the bios and then installed from
the cd, and mounted the cd after installation, but it always regresses to
the error messages.
On boot up linux does see the cdrom. I would like to understand this problem
and resolve it, can anyone shed any light? TIA.