sendmail's refusal

I am using an older hamm (installed end of May), and sendmail
is refusing to send mail to users not on the machine.  For
example:

% sendmail -t mdakin@mit.edu
mdakin@mit.edu... Unrecognized host name mit.edu.
^c
% sendmail -t mdakin@transient.net
mdakin@transient.net... Unrecognized host name transient.net.
^c
%

Nameservice seems to be working fine, however.  It even seems
to do the lookup (judging from modem-light-action).  Everyting
else works fine.

I do not run an SMTP daemon.  I was not intending to use
the machine for mail, so I am not aware if it ever did work.

If you have any insight, please Cc me.

 thanks,

  Mike

--
"The spirit of Lisp hacking can be expressed in two sentences.
 Programming should be fun. Programs should be beautiful."

digital-static: http://web.mit.edu/mdakin/www/