Re: you or redhat

> Subject: Re: you or redhat?
> Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 23:09:47 +0100
> From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly@lfix.co.uk>
> To: Ken Gray <kenegray@earthling.net>
> CC: debian-user@lists.debian.org

<SNIP>

> Debian's:
>   largest number of own packages
>   very well tested
>   very easy to upgrade software
>   dependency checking protects against missing libraries or incompatible
>      versions
>   largest number of developers and testers
>   can install rpm as well as its own format

A serious difference between redhat 5.0's rpms and debian is that dselect tells you about
conflicts and dependencies *before* it connects to the FTP site (if that is the method
you're using) to download.  rpm packages don't tell you about dependencies and conflicts
until *after* it's attempted to install.   In my opinion, that makes the debian package
installer a lot easier to use.