Re: you or redhat

On Sat, 18 Jul 1998, Joseph Vaughan wrote:

> A serious difference between redhat 5.0's rpms and debian is that dselect tells you about
> conflicts and dependencies *before* it connects to the FTP site (if that is the method
> you're using) to download.  rpm packages don't tell you about dependencies and conflicts
> until *after* it's attempted to install.   In my opinion, that makes the debian package
> installer a lot easier to use.

The single biggest factor for me is the ease that remote servers can be
kept upgraded simply and easilly. I can maintain servers far away from my
physical location from inside the company firewall thanks to Debian's
text-based package management. With RedHat, you are required to have an X
display to use glint and the system is really designed for upgrade from a
local CDROM of file archive. The only remote upgrade method is to manually
FTP the packages to the system and run rpm on each one and hope there are
no conflicts.

Debian just makes SOOOOO much more sense for remote administration. RedHat
is rather brain-dead in this regard and is designed with the local
desktop, not the remote server, in mind.

George Bonser

Microsoft! Which end of the stick do you want today?