Re: Wyse 50 Dumb Terminal

> box?  I have one hooked up to my serial port, but I can't seem to
> properly configure it. I get a login prompt and entering the username
> seems to work fine. However, the password you type shows up on screen as
> regular characters (i.e. not blanked out), and it doesn't register the
> enter key. Since it won't read the password without enter, login
> eventually times out.

You seem to have the shadow suite installed on your system, and launching
the terminal login session with getty from another login shell, attached
to another tty (console). Guess what? If you type your password at that
orig. console, things will progress on your Wyse :-)

The solution is that the login from shadow invoked by getty *must* be run
in an orphaned environment. For that, use init to launch it.

I have had nuts with the same thing once.

Vassilii