Wyse 50 Dumb Terminal

Has anyone successfully connected a Wyse 50 terminal to their debian
box?  I have one hooked up to my serial port, but I can't seem to
properly configure it. I get a login prompt and entering the username
seems to work fine. However, the password you type shows up on screen as
regular characters (i.e. not blanked out), and it doesn't register the
enter key. Since it won't read the password without enter, login
eventually times out.
I'm running hamm and installed the termcap-compatibility package (1.1.1)

I launched the getty with "getty 38400 ttyS0 wy50" and tried different
bps rates and different terminal types (vt100, wy50-mc).

Any clues would be appreciated,

John Paul