Re: ISP logon problems

On Wed, Jul 15, 1998 at 07:43:45PM -0500, RUSSELL COOK wrote:
> I have two (unrelated) problems logging on to my ISP.
>
> 1)  Using pon, I often have to connect 3 to 4 times before I can ping the
> outside world, although I can ALWAYS ping my ISP.  Also, I can ALWAYS use nslookup to find addresses for other hosts.  This is extremely annoying.
> If I can connect, and I can ping my ISP, and I can nslookup the rest of the
> world, why can't I access other hosts?  I have sent email to support@myisp,
> but thought I'd check with this group to see if anyone has had this problem.

After you login (but it does not work), what does route show?
Perhaps the default route is not being set for some reason, or is being
set wrongly. Although the latter is not likely, because it would break
any Win95 user who has `use default gateway on remote network' enabled.

> 2)  Diald does not make good connections.  /var/log/diald.log simply states that the connect script failed - no explanations.  plog connects flawlessly
> (except for note 1 above).  Can anyone offer hints on what to look for, or ways
> to debug the connection process?  I'd really like to be able to use diald.

Your connect script for diald should ONLY run chat, not run PPP as well.
Could it be that your script runs pppd? If so, your link will come up
(because you have started ppp) but diald will kill it because the chatscript
"failed". diald will start PPP itself.

In /etc/diald/diald.options I have

# Scripts used to bring up/shut down the serial line.
connect "/etc/ppp/startppp-diald"
disconnect "/etc/ppp/ppp-disconnect"

and in /etc/ppp/startppp-diald:

chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chatscript