hamm problem: X and backspace/home/end

Hi,

I installed hamm on a new system about a month ago. Backspace seemed to work
fine on this system. I installed it on a system that had been upgraded from
rex->bo->hamm last week and the backspace key doesn't work properly in X. I
need to type 'xmodmap -e "keycode 22 = BackSpace"' before backspace works
properly. Before using xmodmap, bash gives the following translations:

  <Ctrl-v><bs>     ^[[3~
  <Ctrl-v><del>    ^[[3~
  <Ctrl-v><Ctrl-h> ^H

I guess this is redundant, but (also before using xmodmap) xev indicates
that keycode 22 and 107 have the same keysym:

  KeyPress event, serial 18, synthetic NO, window 0x3400001,
      root 0x26, subw 0x0, time 2391247581, (120,181), root:(194,272),
      state 0x0, keycode 22 (keysym 0xffff, Delete), same_screen YES,
      XLookupString gives 1 characters:  ""

  KeyPress event, serial 18, synthetic NO, window 0x3400001,
      root 0x26, subw 0x0, time 2391250101, (120,181), root:(194,272),
      state 0x0, keycode 107 (keysym 0xffff, Delete), same_screen YES,
      XLookupString gives 1 characters:  ""

One of my friends at work upgraded two systems from bo to hamm. He has to run
xmodmap on one system but not the other to get backspace to work.

Also the home and end keys seem to be reversed in X, but work fine on the
console. I tried reversing the strings from the /etc/X11/Xresources in my
.Xresources file and then "xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources", but the keys still
behave incorrectly.

Any suggestions for solving these problems would be welcome. I can't see
anything wrong with the /etc/X11/Xresources or ~/.Xresources, but I'll be glad
to post these files and more if someone would like to comment.

--
Lee Bradshaw                 lee@sectionIV.com (preferred)
Alantro Communications       lee@alantro.com