Report: installed hamm from Cheapbytes CD

Hello,

This is a brief report after installing Debian hamm
from the Cheapbytes CD on my Dell Latitude CPi laptop.

The CD boots OK, and everything works as before. The only
thing that was a nuisance was in the section where you
select what file systems, network drivers, etc. to install.
There were several options in these menus that had no
description next to them (so I didn't install any of those).

After installing the base system (including PCMCIA support),
the machine boots ok, with the following error messages:

* Unable to load NLS charset cp437
* Unable to load NLS charset ISO8859-1
* 3c589_cs: Request IRQ: resource in use.
  This one is related to my network card, a 3com 3C589D PC
  (PCMCIA) card. Under WinNT, where it works, it is reported
  as using the following resources: IRQ10, memory 300-30F.
  Perhaps there is something else in Debian that already
  uses that IRQ? If so, what can be done?
* Also, I seem to remember the two serial ports were
  reported as using the same IRQ. Could this be a problem?
  If so, how do you go about changing that?

After booting, one small problem I had is that I got a bunch
of errors for the execution of /sbin/getty, and then a message
saying:

  INIT: Id "S1" respawning too fast...

and S1 was deactivated for 5 minutes. I commented out
the only S1 entry in /etc/inittab, and that went away.
The getty invocation seemed incorrect to me (sorry, don't
have it handy).

So, everything is mostly OK, except for those NLS charsets,
and the network card; anyone has any suggestions regarding these?

If possible, please answer via e-mail as well as to the
list, to which I am not subscribed.

Thanks a lot, and great job!

Gonzalo Diethelm
gonzo@ing.puc.cl