Re: linux + win95: linux boot partition/1024 cylinder limit

On Wed, Jul 15, 1998 at 11:41:26AM +0000, Patrick Meidl wrote:
> > > I recognized that all bootable partitions must start before the 1024th
> > > cylinder (I would like to use LILO), so I thought the best solution
> > > might be to have these partitions:
> >
> > With LBA this appears to be incorrect. I have previously had systems
> > booting Linux from the last 500mb of a 1.6gb drive; the 1024 limit
> > only takes you to 528mb or so. I boot NT 2gb into a 6gb drive; no
> > problem.
> >
> > I have never encountered any 1024 cylinder problem with Linux. I wish
> > the documentation would not keep spreading these ideas.
>
> this sounds promising (I hate limitations). but: does anybody know if
> the NCR 53C810 SCSI BIOS on an ASUS PCI/I-486P3G motherboard uses LBA?
> I couldn't find out from BIOS setup and motherboard manual.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I think that this is only an IDE limitation,
not a SCSI one. The main problem is the drive types in the BIOS setup,
and these are never entered for SCSI drives.

> by the way: anybody interested in a "loadlin vs. lilo for win95+linux
> dual boot" discussion? (I am new to the list so please skip this if you
> are having this every 3 months ... pointers to resources on that topic
> on the web are also welcome).

It is not too hard to hose your system when initially configuring LILO.
Once it's installed it is safe enough. I do not know of any other
advantages of LOADLIN.

Hamish