HOWTO on setting up NFS?

I'm trying to set up NFS on my 1.3.1 systems in order to share files
with a couple of Solaris machines and more.  An article in the June '98
_Linux Journal_ describes the procedure for Slackware, but since that
distribution has the rpc.* daemons on by default it doesn't mention how
to start them up -- and I can't figure it out.

Can anyone describe the process or point me at a Debian-specific HowTo
or Readme?

Thanks,

--Eric House