Re: fvwm2 config hook rant

Tom Malloy <tjm1@thorn.net> writes:
| I am very upset by these hook things. I do not understand them.  They seem
| to be much harder to work with than regular configuration (.*rc) files.
| They seem to require that the user know which hook file to edit.  There
| are several, prethis.hook postthat.hook etc. Some hooks are links to null
| files. This is all very confusing for the novice.  At least it is very
| confusing and upsetting to me. Also the existing hook files are empty.
| This means that the user must write them from scratch as opposed to merely
| editing the existing configuration file.  This is practically impossible
| for the novice user.
|
| I can't see that they serve any useful purpose other than making Linux
| inaccessable to novice users.  Please don't misunderstand, I accept that
| linux has a learning curve.  I have a big pile of books on my desk.  I
| read man pages and howtos and info and mailing lists and usenet.  But
| there is just no reason or justification for organizing configuration
| files in this confusing and intimidating manner.  Applications, and os's,
| should be usable and reasonably configurably at every level of user
| ability.  Thankyou for any help.

Just to offer an opposing viewpoint...

I LOVE the way the hooks work! Before I figured out how to use them
I'd just copy over a system.fvwm2rc or some other sample .fvwm2rc file
and after about a year I think, MAYBE, two out five of my menu items
would actually work. I was just too lazy to keep my own ~/.fvwm2rc
file up to date.

I don't find the process of editing my ~/.fvwm2rc file a lot of fun
and now I don't have to bother! When I add/remove an X Application via
dselect or dpkg the item is nicely added/removed from the system files
and I don't have to worry about it. And the addition/removal doesn't
affect my own "hook" files at all so I can keep just the essential
things there that I know are pretty much static.

Besides, you don't have to use them. Just create your own ~/.fvwm2rc
file and you'll never know anything about the files in /etc/X11/fvwm2.
At least I believe that's the way it works?

Sure it took me a little while to figure out how they work but reading
/usr/doc/fvwm2/README.sysrc.gz helped and now I wouldn't go back to
the old method if someone payed me!

Gary