Re: cirrus logic/sparklies (newbie)

> I'm having problems setting up X which I think are due to
> my graphic card settings. I have what I thought was a pretty
> standard card which the drivers are there for. The card has
> a Cirrus CL-GD5446BV with 2 MB of ram. Superprobe identifies
> both ok. I used xf86config to set up the configuration file
> and can't see anything wrong there (as suggested I've set
> no clock settings).
> I'm using fvwm2. When I start up X I get small dots appearing
> round anything that moves (a window if I drag it, fish if
> I start xfishtank, etc). Some of the dots stay visible (this
> effect does occasionally appear under Win95, but only within
> scrollbars around windows. Otherwise there are no graphics problems
> at all under Win95). I're tried turning off both acceleration
> and bitblt, but that makes things worse: in particular, if I
> generate text wider than a window (eg by ls -al) the window is
> redrawn with multiple overlapping copies of itself.
> If I force a redraw most times the dots go away.
>
> Any suggestions?

A bit of a long shot here..

The word 'sparklies' made me think that it might be a dot/pixel clock
rate too high, but if the noise only changes or appears when something
is drawn or moved on the screen then it's probably not that.

About a year ago I built a system with a Supermicro Pentium Pro
motherboard and an S3-based card. Under MS Windows every time a window
closed or was moved the stuff revealed would be covered in
noise. After doing that half a dozen times the system would
hang. Linux coped better: I got the noise but not the hang. To cut a
long story short I came to the conclusion that the motherboard didn't
like S3s. I switched to a Matrox Millenium and haven't had any trouble
since.

In summary, I'd try a different graphics card in your machine (or your
card in another machine).
--
Monstrous tripods, higher than the tallest steeple, striding over the
pine trees and smashing them. Walking engines of glittering metal. I