Re: fvwm2 config hook rant

Chris wrote:
> Tom Malloy wrote:
>
> <snip>But there is just no reason or justification for organizing configuration files
> in this confusing and intimidating manner. Applications, and os's, should be usable
> and reasonably configurably at every level of userability.<snip>

<format rant> If you feel you have to reformat someone else's
paragraph, could you _please_ limit your line length to 72 characters,
the original looked _much_ better in a standard terminal screen, which
is used by many people on this list.</format rant>

> Well then, if that's what you want then get KDE or something. It's a
> lot of work to make a 'reasonably configurable' window manager, and
> maybe the FVWM2 guys don't have the time, or don't care.

[ snip ]

I think the confusion is not about the configuration file itself, but
about the `hook' files that are introduced by the debian menu system.  I
don't find this `entirely intuitive' either.  I wondered if it weren't
clearer to the user if the update-menus command would edit certain
sections of a template .fvwm2rc file that could be provided to the user.
At the top of the configuration file, you could have a comment like:

# These lines request the debian menu-system to work with this config
# file.  If you remove them the update-menus command will not touch the
# file anymore.

Then in the file, you would have sections `reserved' for the menu
system, also indicated by comments.  If it were organized this way,
the menu system could also work for window managers that lack the
capability to read `hooks' in their configuration files.  Also a lot of
the problems I've seen with the menu system seem to arrive from this
reading of extra files into the config file.  Does anyone know if this
method has been considered?

Eric Meijer

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032