Re: Virtual provides?

On 13 Jul 1998, Edvard Majakari wrote:

[ snip ]

: I think it is not possible to create a file containing so called
: 'virtual provides', which would contain strings like 'mta, httpd,
: news-server' etc. This way, I can install Qmail on my own, put the
: appropriate string somewhere and debian would realize service (mta) is
: already provided.

[ snip ]

: This feature would be really nice. At our system there's often need
: (or desire) to compile a package from .tgz, and there should be some
: way to tell the system what service(s) it provides..

Look at the `equivs' package - it does exactly what you want.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104