There is something weird with Debian's partition boot setup.

Hi,

Since you can't get your system to the root prompt I suppose this won't help you much,
but I to have encountered problems with how Debian sets up itself to boot from a
partition during an install. I have encountered this problem with both my 1.3 install
from long ago and my recent hamm install. Basically, during the Debian install when I
am asked to set up Debian to boot from the hard disk, I answer yes to the questions
that ask if I want to make the partition Debian is installed on bootable and if I want
the partition active, and I answer no to the MBR installation because I use a boot
manager (System Commander). After rebooting Debian fails to boot directly from hard
disk, and System Commander reports that the partition boot record appears corrupted.
Using the boot disk works though and once in Debian if I type 'liloconfig' and then
proceed to make the EXACT same selections that I made during the initial Debian
install and then reboot, it works perfectly. I did not have this problem with Red Hat
either. I guess this is a bug with Debian.

For what it's worth,
Chris