Virtual provides?

>>>>> "KV" == Kenneth Valentine <kvalenti@cs.uml.edu> writes:

Using dselect is awful, because I use Qmail as my MTA. However,
dselect always recommends me to install smail, or any other MTA which
is understandable, and even as it is easy to press 'Q' always when it
recommends smail, it is quite frustrating.

I think it is not possible to create a file containing so called
'virtual provides', which would contain strings like 'mta, httpd,
news-server' etc. This way, I can install Qmail on my own, put the
appropriate string somewhere and debian would realize service (mta) is
already provided.

I know, it is always possible to create a .deb package, but I find
this approach far too tedious.

This feature would be really nice. At our system there's often need
(or desire) to compile a package from .tgz, and there should be some
way to tell the system what service(s) it provides..

--
# Ed               GSM: 040 5960810     URL: http://lodge.ton.tut.fi/%7Eed/
echo "Your stdio isn't very std."