Re: newbie ppp problem

Hello!

> When I start 'pon', the modem beeps as if engaged but never dials
> a number. 'plog' reports:
> abort on (NO DIALTONE)
> send (ATDT^M)
> expect (<my ISPs phone no>)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well, it SHOULD NOT expect your IPS's phone no, but it should expect a
CONNECT answer from the modem. Check your dialing string beginning with
ATDT, it should not contain any spaces. It must be one word together with
the phone no, so something like:

ATDT01234

If it doesn't help, just let me know.

> The process that seems to be causing the problem is:
> sbin/mgetty ttyS1

Hmmm - you do not need mgetty, do you? Mgetty is used only if someone else
would like to connect _your_ machine through a modem from outside. Unless
your are making a dial-in Linux box, you do not need it.

> but I don't know why this is running, what its doing, and I can't
> find where its started up from. Any help appreciated!

Mgetty is started from init. Check your /etc/inittab.

All the very best,
Peter

                      * Peter Paluch                  *
                      * Kukucinova 939/35             *