Re: sound recording under linux

the lone gunman hat gesagt: // the lone gunman wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Are there any folks out there using Linux to do sound recording?  If
> so, what approaches have you taken?
>
> I've got a cheap hack of a sound studio on my pc -- only under windows
> now, though, and I'd rather do this under linux.

[...]

> Granted this is no professional studio, but it does the trick, and
> fairly well.  The requirements, though, are that I need a full duplex
> driver for my Sound Blaster AWE 32 pnp ISA sound card.  This driver is
> free for Windows.  I can purchase a full duplex driver for linux from
> a company (I forget their name).
>
> Anyway, before I spend on the full duplex driver, does anyone know of
> some good software that I can use -- I need a midi drum programmer,
> some decent recording software, and some mixing software (that can
> merge two sound files).  I've got most of this for free under Windows,
> so I'd like to keep it free for Linux.  (BTW, the midi drum machine is
> called "The Wizard" -- it's pretty sharp, I'd like something similar
> for linux).

I think "SLab" is what could fill many of your needs. SLab is a large set of
sound tools that are combined in a tcl/tk-GUI. It comes with a harddisk
recorder, a mixer, an effects rack and lots more (but no MIDI yet).
It can do full duplex with the OSS commercial sound driver.
You can get it at every sunsite mirror somewhere under /apps/sound/

--

  Frank Barknecht