Re: HELP on getting diald to work

On Sun, Jul 12, 1998 at 03:31:27PM -0400, Keith Alen Vance wrote:
> I am trying to set up diald to connect to my isp automatically. I am
> running Debian 1.3 kernel 2.0.33 and I have ip masquerading setup and
> working. The problem is that when diald tries to connect it fails here is
> the error message from my /var/log/ppp.log
>
> Jul 12 15:11:50 linux42298 pppd[162]: ppp not replacing existing default
> route to sl0[0.0.0.0]
> Jul 12 15:11:50 linux42298 pppd[162]: Cannot determine ethernet address
> for proxy ARP
>
> I am dynamically assigned an ipaddress from my isp and I am using illegal
> ip addresses on my lan.
>
> Here is my diald.conf:
>
> mode ppp
> connect /etc/diald/connect
> device /dev/ttyS0
> speed 115200
> modem
> lock
> crtscts
> local 172.16.1.3
> remote 199.233.75.5
> defaultroute
> include /usr/lib/diald/standard.filter
>
> In a diald HOWTO it states that if you get dynamic ip addresses from your
> isp just put in any ip address that the isp uses. That doesn't sound
> right but that is what I did and it doesn't work. If someone is using
> diald in a similar environment let me know how you got it to work?

For dynamic assigned ip addresses, your diald.conf should look something
like this...

	remote 199.233.75.5
	dynamic
	defaultroute

I also had to specify a -reroute line to keep diald from hanging up
when the call was initiated by an ftp request.  To get rid of the
proxyarp message in your ppp.log, add a line like the following:

	pppd_options noproxyarp

I also had to add noauth to my pppd_options, but can't remember
why.

Here's my /etc/diald/diald.options file...

mode ppp
pppd-options noauth noproxyarp
connect /etc/diald/connect
device /dev/ttyS0