Newbie Questions...

Hi All,
 I posted a qurstion about smail configuration few days ago...and the responses really helped me. Now I am able to send mails from my machine (However, I can not understand the threads...:-))..

I got two new questions:

1. What do I need to do POP messages off the ISP mail server?
2. Once I start X, and switch to another console using ctrl + alt +..,
how do I get back the X windows. Switching back doesn't work.. I usually start X as root or as Xdm. However, if I want to run say netscape in another virtual terminal, I get the message 'Cannot open display'

Any and all help will be appreciated....

Thanks,
Vaidhy