Re: hda1 problem

On 11 Jul 98 at 14:34, debian-user@lists.debian.org wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I had a nicely working system with
> hda1	1 gig /
> hda2	48M   swap
> hda3	1 gig formatted space as /extra
> hda4	extended
> hda5    2 gigs formatted space unmounted
>
> The root partition was getting used up so
> I tried to put /usr on hda3 using
> 'cp -dpRv * /extra' and it appears it went
> successfully.  I changed the original /usr
> to /usr1 and then /extra to /usr.  Now I have
> two problems:

A slightly more clear answer about 'cp' copying /extra into the new
/extra/extra.

Shouldn't that have been  'cp -dpRv /usr/* /extra'??

If you really did use just 'cp * /extra' then you should know that
mounted filesystems show up under '/' --- it copied everything in
'/boot, /home, /"whatever"' until it reached '/extra'. Then it copied
it all over again in '/extra/extra'.  Since both were 1gig, I'll bet
the new /sur (old /extra) really IS full.

PLUS! -- your new /usr insn't JUST /usr. it's really all of '/',
which isn't what you wanted.

I'd suggest getting logged in as root, umount the new /usr and
re-mount it as /extra, and rename /usr1 back to /usr.  Then try
again.  First cd /extra and 'rm -rf' or umount it and mkext2fs
/dev/hda3 (safer than rm -rf if you're sure you want a whole
partition empty -- no way for a link to send you back into the '/'
filesystem).  Then mount it and use 'cp -dpRv /usr/* /extra'  EVEN IF
YOU ARE SITTING IN '/usr' WHEN YOU START THE COPY!

   Then again try renaming /usr to /usr1 and umount /extra -- mount
/dev/hda3 /usr

> 1. xdm won't let me log in as anything but root
> 2. hda1 partition now shows 0 MB available and
>    100 percent usage.  du shows the same amount
>    of space being used in /usr and the copied
>    partition.

As the other responder said, you probably DID fill up the new /usr
with the 'cp' command, and your first drive hit its limit at about
the same time.  You may have to operate as root until you are certain
everything (/usr) is in the right place, then delete the contents of
'/usr1' to get back to normal.  You might also want to temporarily
kill xdm and do all of this file system swapping from the command
line with all but absolutely necessary processes killed to be sure no
files are being accessed when you do the actual name change from /usr
to /usr1.  There will be a period with no /usr at all while you mount
/dev/hda3.

Gerald V. Livingston II

'69 Bug -- AirBall