hda1 problem

Hello:

I had a nicely working system with
hda1	1 gig /
hda2	48M   swap
hda3	1 gig formatted space as /extra
hda4	extended
hda5    2 gigs formatted space unmounted

The root partition was getting used up so
I tried to put /usr on hda3 using
'cp -dpRv * /extra' and it appears it went
successfully.  I changed the original /usr
to /usr1 and then /extra to /usr.  Now I have
two problems:

1. xdm won't let me log in as anything but root
2. hda1 partition now shows 0 MB available and
   100 percent usage.  du shows the same amount
   of space being used in /usr and the copied
   partition.

Changing back to the original /usr doesn't solve
either problem.

Sure could use a pointer or two while I look for
my own solution that could make the problem much
worse.

thanks
--
tony mollica