mke2fs - bad blocks

Hi,
	I got a small used disk given to me that I am trying to put into a
small system I have.  When I tried to run mke2fs on any of the partitions I
had created I get

--------
Checking fro bad blocks (read-only test): Bad block 0 out of range;ignored.
done
Block 1 in primary superblock/group descriptor area bad.
Blocks 1 through 3 must be good in order to build a filesystem.
Aborting....
--------

Similarly, mkswap gives:

-------
4120 bad pages
mkswap: fatal: first page unreadable
-------

	I suspect the drive is toast, but thought I would check first.  Does
anyone know if  a low level format or something else can save this, or is it
just garbage ?

	Thanks,

	Gerald Crimp