Re: /etc/init.d/boot message?

On 27 Jun 1998, Brederlow wrote:

> [snip]
>
> > A bit more info would be nice.  I for one would be quite happy just to
> > have a record of what has been printed on the screen.
>
> Your right, the detailed messages would go to a logfile and maybe to a
                                                              ^^^^^
> different console also.

If I understand you, I think your priorities are wrong. The present situation
is perfect: everything goes to the screen and can be seen if and when things
go wrong*. It would be nice if this "everything" was available in one place
elsewhere; but only nice. As it is, it's spread about (dmesg, messages etc.).

(* I am aware of svga...'s clearing the screen and the "bug" in xdm that
lets you loop in and out of X.)

> On a normal startup nothing should fail and it looks much more
> professional to have a nice menu the normal user can understand
> instead of cryptic messages teling the experience that everything is
> fine.

Now I don't understand. Menu for what? And who's necessarily there to
select from this menu?

Perhaps we should go for a picture of clouds with "Debian 98" :-(
No, the great thing about linux booting up is that you can see that it's
working. Positive confirmation. You're not left wondering whether a lack of
error messages means that it all worked, or that the error reporter itself
isn't working.

Cheers,