synchronizing console, xterm and rxvt using bash.

A recent blow up with new xtide version not working as I expected led
to the revelation (should I have known?) that rxvt is not sourcing
/etc/profile.  This led to one of the environment variables being set
not as usually, and the program acted like it was broken, when it
wasn't (a tribute to Dave Flater: it hardly ever acts broken...).

This leads me to believe that the flakiness of the x consoles I
use---rxvt and xterm---and have lived with is not tolerable, in two
ways: in the matter of not sourcing /etc/profile, and in the
variable behavior with bash keystrokes.

Ever since when, I have been bothered by that xterms and other X11
shells etc. don't really act like bash on the console.  Now as ever.
Although rxvt does the keys basically right, and under the right
circumstances (TM) can do readline, in some debian package releases.
Recently there seems to have been another change, but now I guess it's
"working".

Xterm I cannot get to act normally in this way...  Bash readline,
etc., doesn't work at all.  Xterm is better in some other respects.
The bottom line is that these two windows, the best of the bunch as
far as I last determined (some time ago), don't work the same as a
console.  WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE TO GET THESE TOOLS IN SYNC?

Where is rxvt getting its variables, and what needs to be done to
assure the rxvt sources /etc/profile?

Alan

-

--
Alan E. Davis                       Marianas High School (Science Department)

AAA196, Box 10001    adavis@netpci.com   http://www.saipan.netpci.com/~adavis

Saipan, MP  96950    15.16oN 145.7oE    GMT+10       Northern Mariana Islands