Re: tail and grep

On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> I think you need to somehow ensure that tail isn't used until
> that line isn't written in the log; -f will get it to wait, but will
> never get you any output in the dynamic.IP file.

That makes good sense.  I never thought about doing it that way (and don't
have the foggiest idea how.

Craig Sanders sent me what looks like some good advice but I haven't
figured out how to implement it.  I will take a moment to figure it out
before asking any silly questions :)

I did notice that I am using a script called 'ppp-on' instead of 'ip-up'
so I have to wonder if that is part of the cause of my confusion.

If I had a way to make the ppp-on script wait until the connection was
established before going on past

exec /usr/sbin/pppd debug lock modem crtscts /dev/ttyS1 38400 \
        asyncmap 20A0000 escape FF kdebug 0 $LOCAL_IP:$REMOTE_IP \
        noipdefault netmask $NETMASK defaultroute connect $DIALER_SCRIPT

to the rest of the script, I could just put tail in after the line above
and it wouldn't be run until the connection was established (and the
information was in /var/log/messages).