Re: tail and grep

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Patrick Olson wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>
> > I think you need to somehow ensure that tail isn't used until
> > that line isn't written in the log; -f will get it to wait, but will
> > never get you any output in the dynamic.IP file.
>
> That makes good sense.  I never thought about doing it that way (and don't
> have the foggiest idea how.
>
> Craig Sanders sent me what looks like some good advice but I haven't
> figured out how to implement it.  I will take a moment to figure it out
> before asking any silly questions :)
>
> I did notice that I am using a script called 'ppp-on' instead of 'ip-up'
> so I have to wonder if that is part of the cause of my confusion.

ppp-on and ip-up are two different things.

you use ppp-on to start your ppp connection.

/etc/ppp/ip-up is starting automatically by the ppp daemon (pppd)
whenever a ppp link comes up.

btw, pppd also runs /etc/ppp/ip-down whenever a ppp link goes down.

pppd even passes useful arguments to the ip-up/ip-down scripts. i listed
these in my last message.

common uses for the ip-up script are to: setup routes, ip masquerading,
firewalling, ip accounting, login/user accounting, register for dynamic
dns (e.g. a .ml.org domain), start sendmail/fetchmail/whatever, swap
/etc/resolv.conf for one that works with your ISP, and so on.

ip-down is generally used to turn off or undo the stuff done in
ip-up...e.g. terminate accounting, shutdown sendmail, etc.

> If I had a way to make the ppp-on script wait until the connection was
> established before going on past
>
> exec /usr/sbin/pppd debug lock modem crtscts /dev/ttyS1 38400 \
>         asyncmap 20A0000 escape FF kdebug 0 $LOCAL_IP:$REMOTE_IP \
>         noipdefault netmask $NETMASK defaultroute connect $DIALER_SCRIPT
>
> to the rest of the script, I could just put tail in after the line above
> and it wouldn't be run until the connection was established (and the
> information was in /var/log/messages).

this is exactly why the ip-up is there...so you can run things immediately
after the ppp link comes up.

craig

--
craig sanders