Re: Where configuration is stored on Debian systems

*-joost@pc47.mpn.cp.philips.com ( 8 Jul)

| On Tue, 7 Jul 1998 CHUCK@URIACC.URI.EDU wrote:
|
| > In a reply to an installation question you said (in part) With Debian
| > you "With Debian you only have to keep a minimum of configuration data
| > stored on a couple of floppies to completely rebuild a working system
| > from scratch."
| >
| > Is there a list somewhere of what those configuration data are?
|
| /etc and everything below that is a good candidate.  In Debian all
| packages are supposed to put their configuration data in (subdirectories
| of) the /etc directory.
|
| /var has theoretically only dynamic data, but some of that may be quite
| valuable nevertheless; /var/www for instance is where (most) apache
| configurations store webpages.  IIRC bind puts DNS data in /var/named.  If
| you keep important mail in your inbox instead of saving it to a mail
| folder, it's probably in /var/spol/mail/$USER
|
| Of course, I left out user home directories, as they (should) contain no
| data that is critical to rebuild a working system.  It greatly depends on
| the user how many floppies you'd need to back up that data.

You probably would also want to keep everything under /var/lib/dpkg.
It has all the info of what packages are installed on your system, etc.

Also a 'dpkg --get-selections > somefile' would be a good idea as well.
so you could do 'dpkg --set-selections < somefile' later on.

Brian