Re: autoup.sh + deselect broke emacs

i had the same thing happen and i had selected to upgrade emacs to
20.xx...made a mess.  it was the only really broken package.
had been wanting to check out xemacs so ended up purging emacs and
installing xemacs-20.whatever and like it.  anyway, suspect you will need
to purge emacs and do a clean install.  i had to abandon dselect and use
dpkg to remove emacs, then ftp'd xemacs packages and used dpkg to
install them.

best--c

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Edward J. Young wrote:

> I should mention that in the deselect screen, there are headings for
> packages that are headed as "obsolete", one being emacs. Does this mean
> what I think: that emacs 19.34.? is now obsolete because I've upgraded
> around it and now it needs upgrading too? Probobly.
>
> There are some other packages labeled "obsolete" as well.
>
> How should this be handled?
>

> One other question:
> Where can I get a CD in the Denver area? I would order a CD of 2.0 but it
> seems to still be in a state of flux and I don't want to have a CD which
> may or may not have a fully stable Debian system.
>
> Thanx,
>
> Ed
>
> On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Edward J. Young wrote:
>

> > I have upgraded from 1.3.1 to hamm with some difficulty, but feel like
> > I'm getting there. My latest problem is that when invoking emacs from a
> > console, I get "segmentation fault", and no emacs.
> >
> > I don't believe that emacs was upgraded during the deselect process so I
> > suspect that the version I had (v19.34.?) requires the old libc, though I
> > realy don't understand the issues here.
> >
> > How do I rectify this?  By running deselect and upgrading Emacs. I'm loath
> > to try that since emacs is huge and a download would be epic, but if
> > absolutely necessary I will.
> >
> > If it matters, My upgrade went like this:
> > -autoup.sh
> > -deselect with ACCESS UPDATE, INSTALL (No SELECT)
> > -several more iterations of INSTALL since the first ones resulted in
> >  brokenly uninstalled packages.
> > -dselect and running SELECT to get X running (but that's another
> >  posting...)
> >
> > Now deselect reports no brokenly installed packages and I believe that all
> > the necessary packages are now installed.
> >
> > So again, how do I fix emacs?
> >
> > Thanx in advance.
> >
> > Ed
> > NL7FU
> > eyoung@carbon.cudenver.edu
> > ed.young@echostar.com
> >

> --

                                  The man
PUBLIC DOMAIN, INC.          Of virtuous soul commands not, nor obeys:
P.O. Box 8899-0899           Power, like a desolating pestilence,
Atlanta, GA  30306           Pollutes whate'er it touches, and obedience,
VOX: 404.373.0980            Bane of all genius, virtue, freedom, truth,
FAX: 404.378.3607            Makes slaves of men, and, of the human frame,
cprince@pd.org               A mechanised automaton.

                             --Percy Bysshe Shelley