FTP Installation Problem

> > I did run pon first and listened to it dial-up.
> Did it connect successfully?  Were you able to telnet or ping or
anything?
> (I realize this seems silly,  but sometimes it's the connection that's

> wacky).
>
> If so,  then the problem really is a dselect or dpkg one rather than a
ppp
> one.

After pon, I ran plog.  My new Atlas 33.6 internal modem (I replaced my
U.S. Robotics
Sporter Winmodem so I could use Linux) runs very softly.  I do not hear
it hang up.
Plog reported a termination. Part of the message, what seemed relevant,
reads as
follows:  "LCP: timeout sending config.requests.  Connection
terminated.  Receive
serial lin is not 8bit clean.  Problem:  all had bit 7 set to 0."  How
do I correct
this handshaking problem in Debian Linux?

> > I printed the url pages to obtain the directories.
> Ok,  then you've probably got them right.  Let's see -- this is what I

> remember offhand of the questions dselect and its ftp method usually
ask:

> site: (I use llug.sep.bnl.gov,  but you might use ftp.debian.org or
> something)
> debian directory:  (for me, /debian ...)
> distribution to get:  hamm/hamm hamm/non-free hamm/contrib
>         (this'll get the main,  non-free and contrib dists for hamm)
> use a proxy: n
> login: ftp
> password: youremail@yourhost.com/org/edu

Thanks for the tip!

Brian Armstrong
barmstro@werewolf.net

--- Begin Message ---
> > I did run pon first and listened to it dial-up.
> Did it connect successfully?  Were you able to telnet or ping or anything?
> (I realize this seems silly,  but sometimes it's the connection that's
> wacky).
>
> If so,  then the problem really is a dselect or dpkg one rather than a ppp
> one.

After pon, I ran plog.  My new Atlas 33.6 internal modem (I replaced my U.S. Robotics
Sporter Winmodem so I could use Linux) runs very softly.  I do not hear it hang up.
Plog reported a termination. Part of the message, what seemed relevant, reads as
follows:  "LCP: timeout sending config.requests.  Connection terminated.  Receive
serial lin is not 8bit clean.  Problem:  all had bit 7 set to 0."  How do I correct
this handshaking problem in Debian Linux?

> > I printed the url pages to obtain the directories.
> Ok,  then you've probably got them right.  Let's see -- this is what I
> remember offhand of the questions dselect and its ftp method usually ask:
>
> site: (I use llug.sep.bnl.gov,  but you might use ftp.debian.org or
> something)
> debian directory:  (for me, /debian ...)
> distribution to get:  hamm/hamm hamm/non-free hamm/contrib
>         (this'll get the main,  non-free and contrib dists for hamm)
> use a proxy: n
> login: ftp
> password: youremail@yourhost.com/org/edu

Thanks for the tip!