Re: dir /s *.* equivalent for unix.

On Tue, Jul 07, 1998 at 08:56:29AM -0500, Mark Mealman wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Jul 1998, Stephen J. Carpenter wrote:

> >man -k keyword is much more usefull ;)
>
> How do you build the database for man -k? On the systems I've installed(RH, I'm
> currently waiting for Bo to arrive) man-k wouldn't bring up any entries.

um um....I am not sure....
man -k just works for me...

> >3) check out: find, locate, grep
> >check this out...lets say I am looking for .jpg files throughout my
> >entire system:
> >$ locate .jpg
> >/usr/doc/dhelp/debian.jpg
> >/usr/doc/info2www/infodoc.jpg
>
> Side note:
>
> locate uses a "database" of filenames created by updatedb, so recent additions
> to your box may not show up using a locate command.

true...forgot to mention that...

> find actually does an immediate search of the filesystem, but it can take a
> minute or two where a locate tosses back the results more quickly.

yes I know...but I can never get find to give me what I want...
at BEST I can "find ." and get everything under .

actually...ok ....

find .|grep jpg - works even better than
> >$ locate .jpg|grep `pwd`

> grep is a useful filter, but Unix has quite a few others that can be just as
> useful. You might have a /usr/doc/textutils***/ directory that has a README
> that explains a few of them.

yea yea I know...but I like grep...and I can actually get
results with grep almost every time :)

> For ex/
>
> locate .jpg |  wc -l

ahhh good old wc ...very very usefull

> or locate .jpg | grep 'nicole' | sort | pr -2 -h "Pictures of Nicole"

show off :)

-Steve