Re: Unidentified subject!

> So I startup xterm, do a 'su', and then attempt launch the X program.
>
> It always returns with an (paraphrased) error 'cannot connect to xserver - permission denied'.

Here you go:
I'm user "harpo".  I start up X.  That X session is owned by harpo,  _not_
"root".  So root isn't allowed to connect to the Xserver,  and therefore
any program run by someone who's identified as root can't connect ... so
you get an error and the program doesn't run.

I'd start using sudo,  from the sudo package.  It lets you run programs as
a normal user that otherwise need to be run as root -- which users are
allowed to do this is controlled by the /etc/sudoers file.  You can
configure it so that one user can run any program as root,  or user "bob"
can run just the shutdown program as root,  or whatever;  very
customizeable.

At any rate,  once you get it configured,  you just do "sudo root_program"
rather than su'ing and then running root_program.

                     					Will

|             harpo@udel.edu lowe@cis.udel.edu lowe@debian.org           |
|			http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/		         |
|    PGP Public Key:  http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/index.html#pgpkey    |