Re: URGENT: support for Symbios Logic (SCSI) ?

On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, Nico De Ranter wrote:

:
: Hi,
:
: I need to advise on a PC for a new product we will make.
: The PC will be running Debian (ofcourse :-).  I got a quote
: from a company for a PC featuring an Intel Nightlight motherboard
: with
:
:    Symbios Logic 53C875JBE  UW SCSI controller onboard
:
: I couldn't find any Symbios SCSI board in the Hardware-Compatibility-list.
: Does anybody have any experience with this chipset.  Will it work?
: Where can I find drivers?

The Symbios 53C875 is the same as an NCR53C875 - I think this is
compiled into the stock kernel.  The driver name is NCR53C8XX.

Note:  Don't use the ncr53c7,8xx driver - it doesn't like the Symbios
53c875 AFAICT.  Worse, if you choose the ncr53c7,8xx driver during `make
config', you'll never get a chance to choose NCR53C8XX (it's the very
next question if you answer "No").

Also, my controller is not onboard - but it's in a Compaq (even
Compaq branded! <gag>) and they're
notoriously picky with Linux :)

Hope this helps ...

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104