Re: URGENT: support for Symbios Logic (SCSI) ?

Am Mon, 6 Jul 1998 schrieb Nico De Ranter:

> I need to advise on a PC for a new product we will make.
> The PC will be running Debian (ofcourse :-).  I got a quote
> from a company for a PC featuring an Intel Nightlight motherboard
> with
>
> Symbios Logic 53C875JBE  UW SCSI controller onboard
>
> I couldn't find any Symbios SCSI board in the Hardware-Compatibility-list.
> Does anybody have any experience with this chipset.  Will it work?
> Where can I find drivers?

Symbios was an NCR division, before they were split off. From the hardware howto:

  8.  Controllers (SCSI)

  It is important to pick a SCSI controller carefully. Many cheap ISA
  SCSI controllers are designed to drive CD-ROM's rather than anything
  else. Such low end SCSI controllers are no better than IDE. See the
  SCSI HOWTO and look at performance figures before buying a SCSI card.

  8.1.  Supported

  o  NCR chips 53C810, 53C815, 53C820, 53C825, 53C860, 53C875, 53C895

---
Harald Schueler
Universitaet Essen			Tel +49-201-183-2456/2568
Fachbereich 7				Fax +49-201-183-2120
45117 Essen				E-mail hs@ILP.Physik.Uni-Essen.DE