Apt upgrade

Has anyone been able to use the apt upgrade method to Hamm? I get all
sorts of problems. First of all the installed system says it wants perl
5.004 I think. It has the following questions
	require 5.004;
Now my poor self is trying to reamin truly Debian and I have not seen perl
version 5.004.

Then it complains about there not being File::stat; I guess its because
there is no correct perl version.

Secondly using the sources.list file
deb http://ftp1.us.debian.org/debian frozen main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian frozen main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/binary-$(ARCH)/

which was the example file posted by someone on how to upgrade using apt I
get the following error messages:
Fetched 1420k in 0s (4282k/s)
Updating package file cache...
E: Opening
/var/state/apt/lists/ftp.debian.org_debian_dists_frozen_main_binary-i386_Packages
- ifstream::ifstream (2 No such file or directory)

Anybody knows what is going on? And where can I get the required version
of perl short of compiling one myself.

Daniel J. Mashao
Electrical Engineering                daniel@comgate.ee.uct.ac.za
University of Cape Town	       	    http://www.ee.uct.ac.za/~daniel
Rondebosch, 7700, S. Africa    (w) 27+21+650 2816   (h) 27+21+705 8469