Question about debian sources

I have a bo source CD. From time to time I use some files from there.
The problem is that it's still not completly clear to me how to apply
the patches. For the moment I do like this:

1. Unpack the .tar.gz in a directory.
2. Copy in that directory the xxx.diff file.
3. Pacth the files with "patch -p1 < xxx.dif"

Is this the right way to do the things ? In the .diff files were some
lines that make me think some directory names should be changed, but,
after the change, no directory name is changed. What am I missing here ?