Re: [Debian] Running Linux from CD

Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@earthlink.net> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 02, 1998 at 03:21:33PM +0200, Niklas Höglund wrote:
> > > is it possible to run Linux completely from CD. We have created
> >
> > I think older versions of Red Hat supported this.  I remember reading
> > something about it on Red Hat 4.2.  RH4.2 was said to no longer support
> > this.
>
> They didn't have space for it anymore.  It'd be an interesting thing to set
> up to give people at LUG meetings.  It's kinda what I wanted to do with a
> Zip disk..  Bring me a Zip disk and I'll give you a working Linux system
> that doesn't use any HD space.

I used a 30 MB Linux on a zip for some time here at university. Not
fast, but far better than using NT. :) Since zips are rw, one can just
install a normal Debian on it.

> The message before this one explains how to make a CD with defaults and a
> throwaway /var and /etc.  I think instead I would in order to make this
> thing not just a demo but actually useful in a place that you can't have
> Linux (goin' to friend's house, friend has Windoze but I wanna use Linux)
> I'd have some way to use a loopback filesystem on the HD to save defaults
> like X settings and such.

I'm working on it. I also want to have the CD exported via nfs and
possibly have other machines boot via nfs. All one would need to show
how Linux work in a network is one CD and one bootdisk.
Using some loopback device to store data is also in my mind,
especially for swap.

I heard that swap might not be on a MSDos filesystem. Is that still
true and what is the reason?

> Could be quite useful.  I'll look in to building something to do this if
> nobody else has once I start working on the Zip version of the same.  More
> will fit on the CD-ROM, but the Zip is more upgradable and I can build the
> Zip disks custom from a mirror..  =>

Do you have a script to build the zip? Can you mount the zip ro to
simulate a CD?

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn