Re: [Debian] Running Linux from CD

jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl writes:

> On Thu, Jul 02, 1998 at 09:44:50AM +0200, Nico De Ranter wrote:
> > is it possible to run Linux completely from CD.
> Probably yes, if a system has sufficient RAM. One would have to combine some
> things:

8 MB's are perfectly fine for this. I used a setup of a 4MB ramdisk
and a lifefilesystem on CD for the Eagle Linux m68k installation
routine. With only 8 MB you can't run without swap, but that can be on
a native partition (i.e. no need to repartition the drive). With 12 MB
I'm able to run bash and other small programms without swap.

I would think the average ram in a computer nowadays would be 16 - 32
MB ram, more for better systems. With that starting X without swap
could even be possible.

May the Source be with you.