Re: debian-user-digest Digest V98 #536

I just did an upgrade bo --> hamm using autoup.sh.

Amazing. But, there are a number of steps which left me cold; and flipping
a coinn for the right action.

1) during the autoup it had seeral "conflicts", adn it was not clear to me
if I needed to do anything about them. E.g. I think it tried to remove
something that depended on Perl, but I had perl installed, or something...
    "dependency problems .. libwww-perl depends on Perl, but perl is not
installed.
              ...                                      libnet

Anyway, there was no clear indication if all was OK, if it was a comment,
or if some remedial action was needed (later).,

2) After update, it says "now use dselect to upgrade the rest of your
system", then reboot.

?? How do I know what to upgrade? I would like to say; "whatever needs an
upgrade, if I have it installed, do it."
Instead, I had to go through dselect, look at hundreds of packages, try to
remember which I had selected, and decide if they need update. Am I missing
something here?

Greg Guthrie
Dr. Gregory Guthrie
guthrie@mum.edu         (515)472-1125    Fax: -1103
       Computer Science Department
       College of Science and Technology
       Maharishi University of Management
      (Maharishi International University 1971-1995)